Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blog (for lack of title-ing capabilities)


It's been awhile since I've written. It's not easy to have time for blogging when you're working at a camp. And then there are times when the internet just isn't available. Like when a tornado touches down 10 or 15 minutes from you and you take cover in the basement and don't have power for 3 days and run a full program with only a small generator that rotates between giving you water access and keeping your fridges cold. I could continue... but I'm more interested in a topic that has interested me lately(interestingly enough). Haha! Ok, that was a geeky sentence...

It's funny how we can read through the bible and learn something different each time or miss something that you would have thought to be significant. For example, on two different occassions lately I have heard about Paul having a "thorn". Paul says in 2 Corinthians 12:7 "So to keep me from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated" Read the surrounding verses to get the context, but from what I understand, Paul was afflicted with something to keep him weak and dependent on Christ. I find that so interesting because there have been so many times that I've asked God to take away my weaknesses(or my own thorns). I've thought in the past that I could do so much more for Christ if I wasn't insecure or shy or scared of new situations. There are many things about myself that I would gladly have God take from me. However, I have come to see that God made me exactly the way I am for a reason. If I wasn't scared of new situations, I would probably go into them without asking God for help. If I wasn't shy or insecure, I wouldn't see the ways God has worked in my life to put me in positions that I don't feel equipped for! And so, I would love to say, like Paul, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Cor 12: 9b, 10).

No comments: