Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Hmm.... So, Clark Kent, eh?


Well, when I sat down at the computer tonight, I had no intention of blogging. I didn't really have anything to say. And I'm just stressed and frustrated. (Don't worry, Sabrina! I'm not frustrated with you... even though I was 8 minutes too late for Mudsharks to rent that movie I need to preview! Haha No, I'm kidding) But anyway, I checked down through my little list of blogs to see if anyone had written anything, when an idea came to mind. (Ok, so maybe I could have skipped the intro... I'll just get into it now.)

This is kind of in reaction to Mark's blog that I read about Superman. (See Mark Smith in the side bar if you're wondering:)) Being a very recent, but huge Smallville fan, Mark's blog really stopped me short. I had never really contemplated why the Superman image so intrigued me. I had certainly never compared Clark Kent to Jesus Christ! So, now the question is, why DO I enjoy Smallville so much? (Well, I think I should stop here to say that I've never watched the actual Superman movies, so I don't know if they are like Smallville, so maybe my own ideas wont be reflective of those movies.) Anyway, I'm still thinking this through, so this is going to be a little jumbled. But first of all, the first thing I think of if I were to compare Clark Kent to Jesus is that Jesus has no weakness, whereas Clark becomes weak when near kryptonite(which happens at some point in every show!). Clark also goes through temptations in the shows and FAILS them! He gives in, whereas Jesus did not. But I think what makes me like him so much is that, even though he's deathly allergic to kryptonite, he faces it every show to save someone. He puts himself in harm's way to help people and be the best friend that he can be. Oh, to have or be such a good friend! He's not perfect... he messes up all the time and his best friends are always getting mad at him. But, when it's important, he's always there and his friends realize that. I think maybe it's the selflessness I see in Clark that I like the most.

Maybe Eldridge is right and I am longing for a human hero. And actually, the more I think about it, the more I see that there is alot of imagery in the film that could be taken that way. However, I'd also like to say that we can choose what we get out of things. As much as I know that we're all human and we all mess up, I guess I'm still searching for people to look up to and emulate. When really the only "person" I'm supposed to try to emulate is Christ. So, I guess I've just gone in a circle and come to the conclusion that Mark and Eldridge are right. But is there anything wrong with me wishing for such selfless people in the world? Or wishing to be like that myself? If they have created an imaginary person as a "shadow" of Christ, shouldn't we all be trying to be like that? I'd love for people to look at me, ask me why I'm the way I am so I can point them to Christ! Anyway... I think I've confused myself... so feel free to comment so I can be UNconfused! :)

4 comments:

Patrick Sutherland said...

I know what can help the confusion. Kryptonite is spelt with a 'k.' I think that makes everything else seem understandable. Trust me.

Patman the Pat

Janet Perry said...

Oh!!! OK! It's all so clear now!! haha Thanks Pat

Mark D. Smith said...

Next time you want to cite me in your blog you better ask for permission!! :@

Actually, I'm honoured. :p

Janet Perry said...

I gave you publicity, Pal! Appreciate it! haha... jk You should check out Smallville though! I think you'd like it;)