Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Bible is SO Cool!!!

And what sticks out to me today in coolness is the story of Rahab! What an incredible story! How come I didn't notice before how interesting it is?? For one thing, I love stories where a "girl" does something daring! Like in Lord of the Rings where the girl kills the big giant thing that couldn't be killed by a mortal man, or however it went. I love that stuff!

Anyway, back to Rahab. I don't think I ever took a close look at her role before. It was just a part of all that Israelite stuff. They marched around the walls, the walls came down, Rahab was saved.... cool. But, no! What Rahab did was so brave! It must have taken guts to hide two spies that had the city terrified! Then she defied the king of Jericho, who probably could have had her killed. Then she told them exactly what to do to get away safely, trusting that putting that cord in the window was going to ensure she lived out the week! What faith it took to believe in a God that was never even presented to her in glowing terms. (By "a" God, I mean "THE" God!) And to top it all off, even though she was previously a prostitute, she ended up in the lineage of Jesus Christ.

So, I don't think my brief explanation does the story justice, but read it for yourself(Joshua 2) focusing on her role in the whole big picture. I don't think I would have been as brave as her!

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Something I like about this story is that it Rahab almost puts the Israelites to shame. She had only heard of the deeds of God, and yet she feared his reproof and so aided them. The Israelites however, were first hand witnesses of the parting of the Red Sea, the ten plagues, the pillar of fire/cloud, the manna in the dessert and the list goes on. Is not Rahab's story a picture of salvation? We having only heard of God's deeds still believe and are saved from the outpouring of his wrath. And yet are we not like the Israelites too, so many times direct witnesses of God's work and yet so easily distracted by idols?

Nathan said...

Mmmmm manna in the dessert, while in the desert.