Friday, September 28, 2007

meanderings of the mind

We often think we are doing people a favour by reassuring them. We want to help their self-worth...make them feel good about themselves. But how often are we wrong? How often do we say inaccurate things because we're too scared to speak the truth?

I've been thinking lately about my own self-worth and where I may be at these days. I had to be honest with myself and say that I'm probably still not where I want to be or where God wants me to be. But for some reason as I was contemplating all this, my mind went to what people might say or how they would react if I talked about it. I thought about how people so often react (myself included) when faced with the hurtful areas buried in us. Maybe my view of this is flawed, but in my mind I heard..."At least you're not..." or "Most people..." or "That's not as bad as..."

This "conversation" in my head bothered me. How often we smooth things over or pull away when faced with the depths of people's emotions because we don't know what to do or say! I don't want to be convinced that I'm "okay". I don't want to be told that I'm doing great in comparison to others who struggle. I don't want to sweep my uncomfortable emotions under the rug and ignore feelings that I don't know what to do with. I want to the broken before God! I want to be convinced that I am nothing and I need to be on my face in front of a Saviour who was a King but humbled Himself and died on a cross to save people who so rarely remember to glorify His name!

Maybe the knowledge of my lack of worth in the key to discovering my TRUE worth.

Hope this makes sense... feel free to tell me if it doesn't! haha

4 comments:

Patrick Sutherland said...

humility

about 99.9% of christianity

Anonymous said...

Wow.
that struck a nerve...but its true. Oh how many times we try to sweep things away and try to make ourselves feel better instead of dealing with reality, and the fact that we need to be broken. It's not all about being happy, to grow most often relates with struggle and pain...its good to be reminded of this

Janet Perry said...

Thanks! Who are you?! haha
Aw, I don't like anonymity! It makes me too curious!! haha But that's ok... thanks for the comment anyway! Very true...

Anonymous said...

I have observed this...it is true