Saturday, September 29, 2007

An Ideal

I don't look at you expecting something aesthetically pleasing for my own eyes; I look because I want to acknowledge you as a person.

I don't joke with you expecting you to find me witty; I do it to see you smile.

I don't befriend you hoping for something more, or something I can gain; I do it because I love people.

I don't ask you how you are merely to be polite; I ask because I want to know and have an interest in your life.

I don't smile at you to get your attention; I do it because I hope it's contagious.

I don't tell you funny stories so I can promote ME; I tell them so I can see you laugh.

I don't just talk to you because I want something from you; sometimes maybe coming to you for something was the excuse to talk to you...just because I wanted to.

Of course my intentions aren't always that great. I wish they were. But it's definitely something to strive for... It's only fair that I be what I long for in return. A smart friend of mine said recently about community, "True equilibrium happens when we give of ourselves to others, hoping for the same but not requiring it."

No comments: